Monday, August 28, 2006

AW Blog Chain #5:

The AW cooler blog chain has made it's way back to me. This round the theme has been food...to many late night postings I think. We all know I love food, next to sleep it is one of my most favorite things. The last post Tienci, spoke about health foods she wants to try..someday.

I am not into "Health" foods or exercise as "exercise". Nope, you want this girl to get active you better mask it as something else. You want me to walk? Say "hey lets go spend the day in the woods and have a picnic." or "Gee, it sure is nice outside how about a bike ride? or would you rather take the dogs out?" An offer of a day at the beach will rouse me from my stupor.

Take me bowling, tell me you want to play volleyball or badminton, just do not point to a gym and say "Doesn't that look like fun?" No it does not look like fun. It looks painful. It brings to mind the Spanish inquisition(and I don't mean the song and dance number from one of my favorite films) and medieval torture devices.

I do exercise, I just don't 'work out'. I don't join 'clubs' or 'classes'. That maybe to somes liking and hey more power to them, but not me. I never have been like that. That I recall, none of my friends growing up were like that either. We thought nothing of walking all over the place or riding our bikes to get to where we wanted to go. We spent hours on the bayou swimming , and goofing off, or playing volleyball. We never thought of it as exercise.

I don't get much in to diets in general, they cut into my 'joy' of foods to much. I did once go on a carrot eating spree. I didn't do it to loose weight, but because I wanted to try and "fix" my eyes. So I ate carrots for breakfast, lunch, snack, and then had a normal dinner. My mother didn't say anything. She kept buying carrots, until the day my fingers turned orange. Yes, I had orange fingers. I think that is when Mom realized my sisters were not getting any of the carrots. Was a good thing to, my eyes did not improve and I didn't love carrots as much as I once had. Also the reason I don't like real butter. I have to have margerine. I liked butter growing up, so much that I ate an entire stick, by itself, yeah not one of my smarter moves.

There are very few foods that I don't like. A few I couldn't stand as a kid that I like now. I have very few rules for food. Really only two.
1) I don't eat anything that goes down faster than I can swallow i.e. raw oysters
2) I will try something at least once, then tell you I don't like it

**************************************************************
next up on the chain is:
At Home,Writing
And for those of you who missed it here is the list of who in this round of the blog chain.
A View From the Waterfront
Curiouser and curiouser
South Asia Biz
The Road Less Travelled
Fireflies in the Cloud
Infinite Vanity
The Secret Government EGGO Project
Mad Scientist Matt's Lair
Even in a Little Thing
Beyond the Great Chimney Production Log
Kappa no He
Tiffany's Smorgasbord
Just a Small town girl
At Home, Writing
Southern Expressions
BCom
earthshoes
Peregrinas
Writing From Within
Sounds of Serenity in Mayhem

15 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

lmao. I'm going to call you orange fingers from now on.

8/29/2006 02:50:00 AM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

An entire stick of butter! I love that determination!

8/29/2006 04:30:00 AM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

That's hilarious, BK. You sure sound like me when it comes to exercising and eating. I abhor the first and am crazy about the second as well. ;)

8/29/2006 07:44:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What on earth possessed you to eat a whole stick of butter?

That's almost as crazy as my youngest brother using butter to clean my 45s, as a favor. He said he heard somewhere that it was good for them. Needless to say, you can guess what happened when I put them on the turntable. The needle went straight across to the end without playing the music. Aye aye aye! Thanks bro.

Great post BK!

8/29/2006 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

To this day, I can not tell you what promted me to eat the butter. I remember walking into the kitchen, seeing the butter set out on our portable dishwasher/cutting block, and thinking yum. Then getting sick. See I'll try anything ONCE lol

8/29/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got the "eat nothing that goes down faster than you can swallow from your greatgrandfather Nowlin. That was his line every Thanksgiving when my mom made oyster stuffing. Actually, it was dressing, as it was never in the bird.

8/29/2006 04:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with ya, sistah! I don't work out, but I will go for a walk...

I'm with ya on the try anything once bit, too. Although with brains, I tried that twice. Stomach and intestines, once. *blech* I'm pretty adventurous, though, and do like trying new things.

8/29/2006 10:19:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

No Raw Oysters?? There good, but they only last a second.

8/29/2006 11:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pity you don't live near me. You sound like the pefect victim... um ... subject for some of my historical recipes. There's one called 'garbage' that none of my friends will go near, for instance.

8/30/2006 12:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you with the exercising thing, in fact, that's exactly why I'm not consistent with working out. Give me a dance class and I'm there all the time faithfully!

I suppose you've heard of the orange guy- this dude from some years ago who went to the doctor for some other reason but the doctor couldn't help but notice he was orange from head to toe. Daily superfluous diet of carrots & tomatoes!

8/30/2006 11:41:00 AM  
Blogger Peggy K said...

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! I'm the same way - better at exercising if it seems like something fun (and no, the gym is NEVER fun).

8/30/2006 01:36:00 PM  
Blogger Peggy K said...

Oh, and every time I read the title of your blog I think of that Journey song. You weren't born and raised in South Detroit were you?

8/30/2006 01:38:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

LOL Peggy! yeah Tiffany there is a difference between healthy and obsesive LOL.
I was born and raised in LA (lower Alabama/which really means the panhandle of Florida-or parts of it anyway) :)

But if I have to have an 80's soundtrack to my life..Journey would definitely be in there

8/30/2006 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Sounds of Serenity said...

Exercise? Please explain this phenomenon to me. :P I'm on my feet most of the day at my job. That's my exercise. And I actually ate a raw oyster once on a dare. No one can ever dare me to do that ever again!

9/04/2006 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Andrea Allison said...

My home economics teacher once told us that one of her friends was on an all carrot diet which ended with her skin turning orange. I thought that was hilarious.

I'm not big on exercising either unless it's fun. I'm pretty much willing to try anything but there are some foods that I use to love as a kid but can't stand now. Sweet potatoes would be one of them.

9/05/2006 10:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home