Monday, September 18, 2006

And in keeping with the theme of pets....

This weeks Flash Fiction promt is this picture (picture of elephant leading a parade; would not load..stupid puter). Along with the sentence..the elephant found me.
There is a second sentence that can be added for extra points. What Per doesn't know is that my favorite 'pet' is an elephant. Yes, ladies and gents my husband is a dasterdly Alabama fan, and I am an Auburn Tiger fan. Many people who know us, know this, some don't. Some do not understand how a house so divided can stand. It is very simple...we have rules.

My husband was not the first man I loved to have this serious affliction either. No, my poor father also suffers from this . I have spent my life surrounded by people with this problem.
This issue does not affect only my husband or my father, it is deeper than that. It strikes through my extended family on my fathers side. We are truely a house divided, especially on the third Saturday of November, the Iron Bowl.

The #1 rule when living with someone who is a Bama fan, is you can not change their minds, they live in the past. They stay locked in a time warp remembering when the greatest of all coaches was at the helm. My Dad, at times, went so far as to wear his "Bear Bryant" hat when he felt the team needed to be reminded(until something happened to the hat..but no one is talking). These people must be shown pity and helped through their grief.

That's not the real rule. The rule is Which ever team wins the Iron Bowl has bragging rights for a year, until such time as the next Iron Bowl. In the weeks preceeding the game, the afflicted will start to 'forget' who really won last year, and the year before, and the year before that..but I digress. As they forget they will start to make snide remarks..just repeat the score and move on, eventually they are reminded of their defeat and will slink back in to the dark abyss they emerged from.

Here is an example of that rule in action. Our last family reunion happened to fall on Iron Bowl saturday. My Grandparents living room was quickly divided in half. Alabama fans on one side Auburn on the other. In years when we have not been able to all be together we call each other constently, with updates on the score or comments on the lame brain move someone just did.
Another way of keeping the peace..we do not speak to members of the opposite side on that day.
Well we don't speak, but we sure yell a lot.

The Iron Bowl, in my family, is more important than the presidental election or the super bowl.
In a strange way though instead of pulling us apart...the Iron Bowl keeps us together.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try a little more training and you may be able to break your "pet" of this unfortunate habit.

9/19/2006 10:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how many cats and dogs altogether do you have? One of ours came back after a year and now we have 6, had fun playing with you two and the rest of the guild the other night need to do more but only when Kathy gone, asleep or doing ebay....

9/19/2006 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Hmmm we have 4 cats and 5 dogs.
Hey big Guy I've Missed YOU!
The other night was awesome!! Kal hit R3L8 woot!!!

Tonight we killed HIbbies, heheh I shot da elf as it was running at me poison, cold shot, dead..so sweet! stupid elf thought since I was a hunter I would run ROFL

9/20/2006 01:06:00 AM  
Blogger Meredyth said...

In 7th grade we moved to Montgomery for a year, and the first thing I was informed of was that I needed to take sides!

I chose Auburn because I liked the colors and the "Roll Tide Roll, Right Down The Toilet Bowl" chant!

9/20/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

what server do you play on, i used to play daoc, on merlin, albion. Been a while now tho.

9/21/2006 04:55:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Leyna:

I'm a Percival Mid! ;)
Although one of my guildmates used to play on Merlin as an Alb also, unfortunatly I dont remember his albs name..he was high realm rank stealther

9/21/2006 05:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like too call the bamma fans like dad and ur hubby and say HOW DO LIKE ME NOW !!

9/28/2006 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home