Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And the winner is.....

Neither of mine. That's right, the results for class secretary are in and neither of the Phillips clan won. David is very cool with it, says he just ran to tick off his sister(and I believe it). Ashley took it in stride. She moped for a day. Doesn't care that she can run again next year, because then she can only run for President or VP and she only wanted Secretary. She has now set her eyes on year book staff.... we are rooting for her to get picked for that.

Did you know that writing requires math? I didn't, and I sure wish someone had informed me, before I got bitten by this darn bug! I was working out a timeline for my WIP(work in progress), and discovered that my people where not lining up the way I wanted them to. While trying to figure out approximate ages, so I knew what character did what and when, I realized someone would be 12 when they had given birth. I realized my error, got paper and pencil, and did some math. All fixed now, the person would have been an acceptable 17 yrs old. I know someone, somewhere, is screaming that 17 is to young..to bad, it was acceptable at the time :) Not to mention, I was 17 when my oldest was born. Actually it must be a family thing. In doing my math I used my family as the model. My great grandma Morgan was 17 when she had my Grandmother; unless someone lied about Grandma's age. As she is a true southern lady if she was gonna lie, she would make herself younger not older..so that shoots that theroy. Don't you love it when I type as the thoughts enter my head? Scary in here isn't it.

What I am reading now (or at least lately)

I just finished STOP the train! by Geraldine McCaughrean. I wasn't really sure I was going to like this book based on the first chapter or so. I almost put the book down, I'm glad I didn't.
Somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd chapter this book became a run away train. Full of characters you love to hate, adventure, a bit of mystery, and even some romance. This is a middle grade book, even says on the inside flap 10 and up. I truely enjoyed it though. I almost woke Allen up once I was laughing so hard at one point. The main plot of the book is Cissy and her Ma and Pa move from the east to Oklahoma in the big land grab. The town they have chosen to settle in is right on the rail line and set up to be a railroad town. That is until, the townspeople refuse to sell their land back to the railroad, now the train refuses to stop in Florence. Not to be beaten( the pioneering spirit really shows in this group of misfits) they band together to stop the train and put their town on the map.

I finished that and dove right into another Agatha Christie. This time I am reading Spider's Web, one of her plays that has been adapted as a novel by Charles Osborne. I am only a third of the way in, but I can not tell where Christie's prose ends and Osborne's takes over. A mark of excellent writing in that regard, or it could be that I haven't read enough of her work to know the difference.
**
Hubby did receive and accept the offer from Burger King that we where waiting on. Pay rate was a bit of a haggle, but they agreed to his requested amount per year with the option of a raise in 6 months. Once assigned a store of his own, he will only work day shift and will only work one saturday a month. This is a win win situation as far as I'm concerned. Hubby is happy because when he left BackYard he was leaving several people that he liked working with and surprise, surprise they are now with BK as well. For those that just saw the humor in where my husband is working and my screen name, I've been chuckling over it for days.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

That is an excellent example of integrated curriculum. Needing to know math when you're writing a story - very cool! I'll have to cshare that with my husband (he's a principal and was a curriculum director).

Thank you for sharing feedback on my site. I really appreciate it.

And I'm so happy you found Blogger! Are you happy here?

9/13/2006 10:49:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

I don't hate it. I'm still learning my way around, but it's okay.

9/13/2006 11:21:00 PM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

I do that too, half way through a story I'm like wait a minute and then do all the math for the ages. Invariably something is out of whack! I usually end up using a calculator...how embarrassing!

9/14/2006 03:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you math would come into everything in life, just like ants!

9/14/2006 10:31:00 AM  
Blogger Brian Tubbs said...

Math!? Did you say "math"? Quit using 4-letter words like that.

9/22/2006 01:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home