Saturday, September 23, 2006

Buffet style

I've had several ideas for posts lately, but trying to wait between entries. Not an easy task for me. I want to brag on my friend Kappa to start. She went and got her story published: Mrs. Misak's Eyes Kappa's story .

I have decided that the dictionary is my worst enemy. I am a weak speller, have been most of my life. As I am writing more for 'general consumption' and not just my own entertainment, I've started keeping a dictionary at my fingertips. Instead of making me a stronger speller, it has made me weaker. If I type out a word that I know, but do not use often, I find myself rushing to the dictionary to double check instead of trusting myself. Then, when I discover I did spell it correctly, doh, slap to the forehead.

I am going to take a moment and give a shout out to my 9th grade(not to be confused with my freshman year) history teacher. On myspace(tm) I found my highschool has a page. One of the boards is about favorite and least favorite teachers. Ms. Hudson grabbed me in a profound way. I have always been a reader and always liked history. Well I liked history in that it wasn't the most boring subject in school, but that was about it. The day I met Ms. Hudson she walked into class and said "I'm going to tell you a story." That had my attention. "The story has murder, plots, take overs, incest; everything a good story should have. You are going to read along." And she started handing out textbooks." The best thing about this story is it's still being written and you are a part of it." I fell in love. Introduced to me in that way History and I developed a whole new relationship. One that has lasted even up until today. So thank you Ms. Hudson for touching my life in such a way.

I am reading Servant of the Bones right now. The story is told in such a manner that I am having a hard time 'getting into it' and staying there. Mrs. Rice is a talented writer and usually I don't have this issue with her work. The story is interesting, so I keep reading, but the way she pulls out of the story in the story, pushes me straight back into reality. I find I don't care so much for the outer story, which is a writer in a cabin by himself suffering from a fever when a long comes this being. The being wishes to tell the writer his story. Yes, like what happened in Interview with a Vampire. So, wait, I did have this issue before. She made me crazy with the same deal then. I really don't care about the tool being used to tell the creatures story..I just want the creatures tale. And the creatures tale is fascinating, He lived in Babylon after King Nebaknezzer, but right as the Persians are invading. Her descriptions of the city, plant you right there walking the same dirt roads as the character. Comming back to modern times after that..sucks. I don't get or understand the writer at all, other than at this point in the story maybe he is just delusional and his character has come out of his head and manafested itself. If that turns out to be the case..I swear, I will, for the first time in my life..throw a book across the room.

It's funny really. As many books as I have read, as much as I may not like a book, I can not throw one. Oh I've wanted to. I've cocked my arm back ready to let fly my deadly inaccurate aim, only to stop mid release and set it roughly down. usually a rude noise will follow to show my displeasure, but actually throw one? sacrilege!

My daughter brought home the scholastic book catalog the other day. I was like a kid in the candy store, trying to pick just one or two titles..I really need to get a freaken library card here lol.

I'm off to defend the realm and to get Kal to 3L9! Here hibbie, hibbie, hibbie......




2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

I don't know what it is about Anne Rice, but I just can't get into anything she's written. The stories themselves are always interesting, but her so-tedious-I-want-to-gouge-out-my-eyeballs-with-a-toothpick style kills it for me.

9/24/2006 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

You are so sweet! Thank you! Truth be told that is a ten-year old story and I like my newer stuff better...it just isn't selling (regression, anyone??)

A. Rice. I think I read several of hers, but yea, Matt hit the nail on the head with 'tedeious'.

Oh, and I had my first throw-the-book-across-the-room episode the other day. The book was When We Were Orphans by Ishiguro Kazuo or something. The dude who wrote The Remains of the Day. he was forever remembering and during that recalling something else and that reminded him of this...I literally shut the book and tossed it. Felt good. I did finish, eventually.

9/27/2006 01:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home