Sunday, September 03, 2006

Flash Fiction Friday#2


Here is my entry for this week. This is the picture we used.

Flash Fiction #2. CAMP: WANNAHOMGBAK (or I can’t believe my mother sent me to summer camp)


Dear Diary: June 15th
I can’t believe my mother! God sending me away to camp for the summer like some little kid. I had plans! Did that come into consideration? No! Even when I told her what I wanted to do this summer, she just said “No dear. Camp will be good for you; you’ll see”
Augh! Whatever! Chelz and I were going to spend the summer hanging out at the pool in her apartment complex. We had everything worked out. I would hang out during the day with Chelz and that way I’d have ‘adult supervision’ while mom worked. Did she care? No! I even did my best not to whine, but sound very calm and mature while I made my argument, for all the good it did me. Now I’ll never get to meet that guy that just moved in over by Chelz. What a way to spend my 8th grade summer vacation. At camp! OMG!

Dear Diary: June 20th
Well I’m here. In the middle of nowhere! Mom left about 2hrs ago. We had a ‘cabin’ meeting, after all the parents left, so we could ‘meet’ our cabin mates. Lame! We are all stuck together anyway; don’t they think we’ll figure out each other’s names? Geez! They went over the rules, which is why I’m writing this dumb journal in the first place. No one keeps a diary anymore! It’s part of the ‘experience’. We have to write down our impressions and what we see and feel. This place is so stupid. The cabins are dumb. Each cabin has a low covered porch with a few chairs on it. Inside are two rooms. The main room has four metal bunk beds, like you would see in movie for a boot camp or something. These thin mattresses were rolled up like sleeping bags and held together by bungee straps, we’re supposed to sleep on those? Who knows what kind of bugs are in them! There is no glass on the ‘windows’ just screen, they have these little roofs over each window to keep the rain out. A table sits in the middle of the floor for our ‘cabin meetings’, most of us just sat on the bunks anyway. Oh and two twin beds for the counselors Jenna and Michelle. The other room is a bathroom. My god it’s like the showers at school for P.E. and it smells about the same. Stall toilets and standing showers. A stack of cubbies are by the door to hold our bath stuff. Each cubby has our name taped on the top of it. Gotta go, the drill sergeants, I mean counselors say it’s time to head to the ‘mess hall’. I hate this!

Dear Diary: June 21st
It was so hard trying to go to sleep last night. I could feel the metal coils through the mattress. I ended up sleeping on top of my sleeping bag and my blanket. The stupid crickets or frogs or whatever would not shut up all night. Lanna, has the bunk under me, snores. We took a tour of the camp yesterday. The main building is called ‘The Lodge’, whatever! It’s an overgrown cafeteria. There is a T.V. and a few couches and chairs and some video games. The other side is where the tables are. We eat by cabin number so it’s not like the whole camp is there at once.
I was shocked when I saw guys there. Mom didn’t say anything about it being a co-ed camp. All of the different areas are linked by paths and there are woods everywhere. Serve mom right if I catch lime disease or west Nile virus or something. The mess hall is in the middle of the whole camp. Boys cabins on one side and girls on the other. There is a pool, a lake, tennis court, stables, basketball court, volleyball area and horseshoe pit. After dinner the whole camp went to ‘The Pit’. It’s supposed to be like an outdoor theatre. There are these bleacher type benches made out of wood and they lead down into this cleared out area. Rocks form a ring close to the seats and they had a fire going in the middle of it. Behind the ring of rocks is another cleared area that goes out toward more woods. Just before the woods, but to like mark the end of the cleared out area, there is a Totem pole. It was okay I guess. We made smores and learned the camp song, it’s pretty corny.

Diary: June 24th
We had to cook for the camp tonight. We thought we had done a good job too. We voted a few days ago to make chili and corn muffins. Julie came in took one look at it and was all “gross, this looks nasty.” And then she went to get a muffin and she’s all “This is over done” and starts banging it on her tray. She made this nasty look at Lanna, and flounces off. Lanna just rolled her eyes and I busted out laughing. Julie is still ticked that our cabin beat hers in the canoe race. Even though she tried to cheat and tip over the one Lanna and I were in. What makes it even funnier, is that she likes Josh. Josh’s cabin helped us cook tonight. She insulted his cooking and didn’t even know it. She thinks she’s all that and a bag of chips, just because she’s been coming here every summer since she was like eight. I bet her family is glad when it’s her turn at camp.
Josh walked me back to my cabin after dinner. He is so cool. This is his third time here. He said they hold a dance the last night and asked me if I want to go with him. I was blown away, I didn’t even know he liked me back cause he doesn’t talk that much. I told him “yeah, sounds fun.” I can’t believe I said that! Guess Mom was right..camp is sorta cool.
See ya.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that's sweet. :) Takes me back to my summers at camp, only I actually wanted to go - best way to get away from the parents. :D

9/04/2006 09:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it. I might like it even better if these were letters to Chelz. I can't see a girl describing the camp to the diary, but I can see her writing to a friend, first b!tching about camp and then bragging about the cute boy asking her out.

Good job, Beka!

--SM

9/04/2006 11:16:00 AM  
Blogger Anne/kq said...

I can see the journal thing-- although letters would also have been good. But I was totally cracking up because it reminded me so strongly of some of my young friends, so I couldn't care too much about that!

9/04/2006 02:06:00 PM  
Blogger Anne/kq said...

(You might change your code to be for no. 2 instead of no. 1, though. ;) )

9/04/2006 02:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't send you to camp, did I, How did you know what its like?

9/04/2006 06:45:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Camp Beckwith...5th/6th grade summer...I earned the money myself? you painted my bedroom peptobismal pink (at my request), I guess the paint fumes made you forget I wasn't home?

9/04/2006 08:26:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Fullerton said...

Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah. :)

Great ear for the narrator's voice. A little description of the characters would have been nice, but that's just a quibble.

Bill

9/04/2006 10:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great handle on the tone - the only time i came out of the story a little was on the descriptions - they evoked your fondness for setting, but didn't seem like what she would really notice first... loved the "Chelz" - actually took me a minute to elongate the name! suggestion: if she was reluctant at first and became more into it as she went, the language could have evolved that way, too. short and acerbic at first, then a bit more forthcoming, then gushing. most young girls would describe every detail of being asked out by the boy they like - down to the number of fireflies in the vicinity! ;)

this looks fun - wish I had more time - maybe soon...

9/05/2006 02:24:00 AM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

heheh wait and see, wait and see

9/05/2006 03:12:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cool diary posting BK. I never did get to go to camp, although by brothers did.

9/05/2006 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger JD Byrne said...

Interesting perspective. I never went to regular camp when I was a kid (thankfully - I'm not a rugged outdoorsman), but it brings back fond memories of band camp! :)

9/06/2006 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Great "voice," Beka! I was immediately sucked in to the story on this one. I was waiting for the totem to play a more prominent role, but nothing in the rules says that the prompt has to "be" the story so that was just my expectation.

9/07/2006 11:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lounge flounder - there's no rule that says that what you right has to be any good. In fact, FFF#3 is supposed to be bad... :D

9/08/2006 04:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a girl in 8th grade and I can sooo see her attitude in this. ;-)

9/08/2006 07:50:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Kay said...

Never went to camp, but loved the diary/journal angle. Yeah, at that age thoughts jump around a lot!

9/29/2006 03:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home