Monday, September 04, 2006

Isn't it funny...

I learned how to put a picture in my post, but I still can't figure out my side bar issue. I just don't care any more. I have found a few templates I like the look of, but am terrified that if I use one of them, I will lose all my previous posts.

I spent the weekend reading Miss Snarks crap-o-meter. I have a new appreciation for what agents, editors,and publishers go through. It is easy to read queries when they only post a few up for review. When they drop 25 in a day, your eyes start to glaze over and your mind goes numb. They do this every day, for hours. All I can say is 'YOU GO GUYS'. I think I'll stick to the writing side of things.

I also have a better understanding of why the query letter is so important. Reading that many in a row, I found myself not wanting to read the story because the letter was boring. Miss Snark does the entire writer/agent/editor/publishing community a great service with this marathon of query prose. Do not misunderstand, it is fun. Just fun in the way that you enjoy a round or two of 20 questions, but 3 days in a car cross country and the next person that says.."I'm thinking of a mineral" is walking.

The crap-o-meter also helps in understanding why you pitch to so many agents/publishers at once. Everyone 'knows' that everyone's taste is different. This puts it out there in your face though. Several of the stories she passed on, I would have liked to read the whole thing. Others she liked and all I could say was "why?"

So does this mean I don't want her to do the crap-o-meter any more or that I won't read the rest that she posts? Hell no, I'm upset that she already quit for the day and I have to wait for tomorrow to read more.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beav said...

I can say that you won't lose any of your posts. The one thing you'll want to look out for is that you don't lose your links. You had to update them in the template, so what you'll want to do is find them in your current template, copy and paste them into a text file (notepad), then once you've decided on a new template, paste them over the little crappy default links they have there.

--Beav

9/04/2006 08:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the Beav said, you won't lose your posts. Just everything on your sidebar.

You should link to Miss Snark's crap-o-meter in your post so those who don't know who Miss Snark is can get there easily.

BTW, tag. You're next.

9/04/2006 09:01:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Ah thanks matt ;)..LOL.

yeah I thought about that after I posted it..will 'edit' her in.. that will be a change uh?

9/04/2006 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

Can you put the crap-o-meter link in your post? Just hyperlink something so we can come back to it and read what you're talking about. It sounds like a good thing to check out.

Thanks!

9/04/2006 09:13:00 PM  
Blogger Harbormaster said...

You can experiment with content in the sidebar without saving the changes. Blogger will let you preview your attempts.

I really enjoy Miss Snark. I just wonder sometimes about the entire submission process! Yahoo will let you list Miss Snark's blog on your MyYahoo page results...

9/04/2006 09:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about the Crapometer marathon -- I love reading through that stuff.

I used to read Miss Snark a lot, but not so much anymore, so I usually miss when she does cool things like this...

9/04/2006 09:49:00 PM  
Blogger Bill Fullerton said...

Just fun in the way that you enjoy a round or two of 20 questions, but 3 days in a car cross country and the next person that says.."I'm thinking of a mineral" is walking.

--

Been there, thought the same thing.

Miss Snark has such a good site, if I'm not careful I'll end up reading it instead of writing.

At one time I had the same sidebar issue you're having. In my case, the problem had to do with an image being too wide.

Bill

9/04/2006 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Marilyn Braun said...

Thanks for posting about Miss Snark's crap-o-meter. I'm with you though, I'm not sure I could read more than a couple of entries. Also has a reality tv feel to it - crushing peoples dreams and goals for public consumption.

9/05/2006 06:43:00 AM  
Blogger Mad Scientist Matt said...

The sidebar isn't connected to the posts. I know, HTML is a bit intimidating, but once you learn the basics, it's not too hard to edit the list of links.

9/05/2006 07:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spent my entire vacation glued to the crap-o-meter! You made me laugh out loud-"Next one who says 'I'm thinking of a mineral..." is walking!"

:) Soccer Mom

9/05/2006 04:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home