Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dang you, Mom, and your voice inside my head...

Oh, I hate it! Someone posts something and I want to say something, that might be construde as mean or not tactful, and so I say nothing. I let it goooo. I might yell at the TV or computer moniter, but actually put it out there? noooo, not me. Until I get here. Even here though, I will stifle the my voice a little, because in the back of my mind I hear her. "A lady doesn't say anything if she can not say something nice." and yes, when lecturing she spoke just like that. She would give you that look and say "Tact, dear, is something you need to work on."

Those of you who have met my mother, know the look I mean. I'm not really sure how she pulls it off. She has always been a tall woman, but she makes herself appear taller. She looks down her nose at you and pierces you with those eyes and you can't move. You're paralized like a fly biten by a spider, completely at her mercy until she dismisses you. And you know when you've been dismissed. I have seen my mother unleash that look on grown men, while she is sitting down, and I swear the men shrank in size as she pinned them down.

Does this mean I don't speak my mind? no. Another thing my mother taught me was to express myself, just to becareful how I do it. I have learned, from that little voice in my head, paitence and the value of a well placed word and tone. Do I always use the tools she has given me? nooo.
That has landed me in more hot water than I care to discuss at this time. When I do use them though they serve me well. So, as annoying as that voice is, I still listen to it...most times.

It has kept me from talking about the new shows out this season, or at least the ones I'm watching, until tonight. One show in particular Studio 60: On the sunset strip. I held my piece because I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I like the cast, okay, I love the cast, as individual actors. I liked the premise of the show, what I didn't fall in love with was the first episode. Studio tried to come out swinging, fast paced, and leaving you with a feeling of WTF. They nailed it in a scene or two, but the rest of the time, it seemed like they were just trying to keep up with it's big brother West Wing. The last scene of the premier made me decide to give the show a second chance. This week cinched it. I am converted, I love this show. From the opening scene until the credits ran I laughed. I laughed so hard my niece thought I was crying..now that is a goood laugh.

Still weighing in on a few shows. Shark, high drama, good conflict between characters..but really I need another law show? The class: I like the cast. I like that each "story" is seperate so you get like mini plays inside a big play. Not loving some of the issues that they have going for plot lines. One extra marital affair and the conciquences of that choice okay..But last nights episode showed there is another one...why? The second couple was funny enough with out the added drama. Hello, guy runs girl over with car, picks her up from hospital and she gets blown away in a hurricane..funny stuff..like watching a train accident. Really it was good on it's own. So I am biding my time before I say this is in the line up or not for monday nights.

Ugly Betty: I like this one.

Men in Trees: Jury still out

The Nine: like it

Jericho: still 50/50. yes I know Skeet is in it and that is partly why I keep watching, but if it remains the only reason I am watching-it won't be enough.

Six Degrees: Jury still out.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness, I sound like a steel magnolia. Just because I think it sounds nicer to say, " She makes friends easily", rather than, "She's a slut". I mean, what is this world coming to? I agree on Jericho, don't think I'll spend anymore time on it; although I believe it is something we should all consider. I'm rather thinking of cutting down on the television altogether.

10/10/2006 10:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny... we both wrote about our mother's voices in our heads ... and I had not been here prior to posting... (thought I had brain custody this week...)!

Yeah, Studio 60 has me hooked. Also Heroes. Grey's Anatomy remains a guilty pleasure, especially now that the idea of CHOOSING between PATRICK DEMPSEY and CHRIS ODONNELL is so DELICIOUSLY LUDICROUS! (I have, of course, loved both since their awkward geeky debuts in movies like Scent of a Woman and Can't Buy Me Love) But I am having to pare my fall TV fare down to the bone because I will never be able to keep up with much. So I plan to watch 60, House, Grey, and Heroes as avidly as possible, and probably little else.

Love you!

10/13/2006 04:32:00 AM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

I'm so jealous, wish I could watch all the new shows. But thanks for the reviews, I'll know what to watch out for when I go back home this winter.

10/16/2006 06:19:00 AM  
Blogger Bhaswati said...

Dropping by to say hello. I am glad you broke out of the shackles of those voices. :)

The show sounds interesting!

10/20/2006 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Cath Smith said...

Ha! I think every mother has that look down pat. :)

10/22/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Violet Payne said...

Nice postt thanks for sharing

7/07/2022 02:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home