Tuesday, October 31, 2006

What is in a name?

I'll tell you. Everything. Yes, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I bet you ten to one she will be pissed that your calling some other flower by her name! In my life, I have had several nicknames, but I seem to keep changing mine. Not always because I out grow said nick name,but because some one else takes the darn thing. When I was younger I didn't really appreciate my given name. It was long, never fit in the bubbles on the standardized tests, and was spelled strangely. Then I came to appreciate my unusual spelling. Not many of us out there, like belonging to a special club. If I came across another Rebecca, I could say "oh, how do you spell yours?" That would get a strange look, but they would spell it out. I could then smile smuggly and say "oh, that's not how I spell mine. I use the bibical spelling." And walk off in my bubble of uniqucness. I was never called Becky, but Beka for years. I was the ONLY Beka I had ever heard of. Then along comes this little show called Life Goes On and their daughter goes by Beka. I no longer heard "oh that's an unusual name", to hearing "oh, did you get that off of the show?" It didn't help that I also had longer brown hair and wore glasses. Thus began my search for another nickname. Close friends and family still call me Beka and with the show being off the air it's not such a big deal, other than there are now WAY more Beka's (or otherwise spelled Becca's) running around.
I tried on Rebok, Reba (before she became really famous), Chewbaka (but seriously? what girl wants to run around with the same name as an 8 foot walking carpet?), and finally settled on BK, when I started hanging out on the net. This has been my nickname for 16 years now, BK. I was comfortable with it. I haven't come across any others. All was right and good in the land, and Bk was happy. Until....She sat down to watch a little of the World Poker Tour with her hubby. There is this a player Bobby or Billy something with the last name King. So the anouncers (or one of them at least) started calling the guy BK. NO, NO, NO, it's mine dang it! and I dont' want to share. I don't want to introduce myself and hear "oh, like the poker player?"
But then maybe it's just a chic thing or worse just a "me" thing.....

6 Comments:

Blogger Kappa no He said...

I really liked BK. We don't get that poker show here, so I will never say...so you got it from the show!?

11/01/2006 04:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry honey. Do you want to try hakeber for awhile? You know, lots of people don't have nicknames, other than Mom, and get along just fine in the world. Just something to think about.

11/01/2006 01:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Rofl, I actually named my healer toon on my game Hakeber, looked better than the other old nickname, my Uncle used to use.

11/01/2006 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

That's it. I'm calling you Rebok from here on out. How can I not work with THIS material?? ;)

11/12/2006 07:40:00 PM  
Blogger Harbormaster said...

It is funny how we can get hung up on a name. Some people always want to call me Al, but I never cared for it. I'm thinking its better than Rebok :) Your right to avoid Chewbaka, that leaves to much room for the creative minds out there.

11/14/2006 11:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rebok is a nickname I never would have thought of for Rebecca. Cute, though. :)

I have a cousin named Rebecca (spelled your way), and her nickname was first Becca, then Beka, and now... I don't know, I haven't talked to her in a while. :) But it sounds like you guys went through a similar pseudo-identity-crisis sort of thing with names.

11/15/2006 03:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home