Thursday, November 02, 2006

FFF#9 : Thistle Stone Soup

Engine, engine #9 going down the chicago line. If the train should jump the track, do you want your money back? Why the rythme you ask? well, this is FFF#9. And even though I sort of "jumped the track" the past few weeks, I'm in it this time. Second, this weeks prompt was a flower and a Goblin. Which prompted the child in me to come out of hiding...for a little while at least.


Thistle Stone Soup


Blarg was hungry.

“Petra,” He called, “Petra, where is Momma?”

“She went to the Swamp, to get gas for Ghoul Tide supper.” His sister replied.

“But I’m hungry.” Said Blarg

“I know what a little Goblin likes.” Said Petra and took a mud cake from a shelf. “Here.”

The mud cake was good. Warm and gushy; filled with little pebbles that crunched in his teeth. Just like he liked it.

A few minutes after he had eaten the mud cake, Blarg’s belly growled.

“Petra, I’m still hungry.”

“oh, all right. I will see what else we have.” Petra stomped to the shelf of the cave, where all the food was stored.
“We have worm mash.”

“No. I don’t want mash.” said Blarg. “Do we have any Thistle Stone soup?”

“No, no soup.”

“I want some. Will you make it?”

“I am not making you Thistle Stone Soup. We don’t have what we need to make it.” Petra said, “I wouldn’t make it for you even if we did.”

Blarg glared at his sister. He snatched the worm mash and went outside.

“Stupid mash.” Blarg grabbed a handful of the mash and stuffed it into his mouth.

He spit it right back out.

“Augh, this isn’t worm mash. This is Dragon fly mash. I hate Dragon fly.”

Blarg threw the mash as far away as he could.

“I’ll get the stuff for Thistle Stone soup and make it myself.”


“I need Thistles. Those grow by the marsh.” said Blarg.
“hmm..I also need brackish water and stones.”

Blarg picked up the gathering sack and headed off to the marsh.

“oh, here are good stones.” Blarg smiled. A pile of smooth white stones where next to the path. “These are my favorite, nice and crunchy.”

A little ways more and he found a stand of Thistle’s growing. The first patch had big purple blossoms.

“Yuck, too fresh.”

The next patch, the flowers had fallen off and the stalks were brown. The thorns were nice and sharp.

“Just right for my soup.” Blarg picked the Thistle patch. “Now all I need is marsh water.”

“I forgot the bucket!” said Blarg “I can’t get the Marsh water. Now I can’t make my soup.”

Blarg threw down his gathering pouch in true Goblin temper.

CLANK
Blarg looked into the tall marsh grass where he had thrown the bag. There, under the bag, was a rusty pail.

“Hurray!” yelled Blarg.

Blarg hurried the whole way home. “growl, grumble, grumble”

said Blarg’s stomach the whole way back.

When he got home, Blarg built up the fire like he had seen his Mom do.

“What do you think your doing?” asked Petra

“I’m making Thistle Stone Soup. I found the perfect stones.” Blarg put the stones in the big pot that stood over the fire.

“I found a pail to carry the Marsh water back.” Blarg poured in the Marsh water, from the rusty pail.

“And, I gathered the Thistle’s all by myself.” Last he put in the Thistles.

“You are going to cook?” said Petra and she walked out of laughing.

“Petra, Blarg...I’m home.” Said Momma

“Momma, Momma... I made Thistle Stone Soup all by myself.” Said Blarg

“Oh, really?” asked Momma, “Well lets see. Did you get stones?”

“Yes.”

“Did you get Marsh water and old Thistles?’

“Yes, and I made the fire, just like you do.” said Blarg, “Do you want to try some?”

Blarg picked up two bowls and filled them with the soup. He got down two plates and put Mud Cakes on each.

“Come try it, Momma.” said Blarg

Momma sat down on her favorite boulder and carefully tasted the soup.

Momma didn’t say anything to Blarg, but she took another taste. Then another, and another, until the bowl was completely empty.

“BUUUURRPP” said Momma

Blarg smiled. A burp, is the best compliment you can give a Goblin on their cooking.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute and I like the characters, very childlike and true siblings.

11/03/2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

I'm glad you liked it! But part of me has to ask..did Michael?

11/06/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your writings. Sure hope you get published soon so I can send your books to my grandchildren.

11/06/2006 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Thanks Lyb! :)

11/07/2006 12:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute, and so well-grounded! The realistic interaction helps suspend disbelief. I think you should explore this genre more...

11/08/2006 02:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

Adorable! I'd hate to be a goblin dentist (^0-)/~

11/11/2006 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger stacey said...

Loved it!

11/12/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cute. I'm in recipe mode though and I can't help thinking of an old bush recipe for how to cook a galah. It's not relevant, but it's haunting me so I'm filling in a transfer-of-haunt form and giving it to you.

Kill your galah. Pluck it etc and put it in a big saucepan with a lot of water and a small stone or brick. When the stone or brick is soft throw out the galah and eat the contents of the saucepan.

11/14/2006 11:46:00 PM  
Blogger Ted Gross said...

You seem to have an art for this type of genre - and if I were you I would explore deeper. Your ability to be "in touch" with your kids and the mind of a child plus your writing seems to give you a significant advantage here. It was fun, cute and great to read. That says it all.

11/15/2006 02:23:00 AM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Gillian...round here we call that rooster stew! lol

Teddy thank you so much for that. It means a lot comming from you, Sir.

As I mainly write Young readers, and rosencrantz is my friend who helps me edit from time to time..her words are..suspect shall we say :)

11/15/2006 08:25:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was a cool story BK. Very well written. Hope you get it published. I'd love to see the drawings that would go with it. If you need a illustrator, let me know. I know a great one.

I remember that rhyme you had in the beginning too.

11/15/2006 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Kristal Shaff said...

This was cute, and well done. Thanks so much for sharing.

11/15/2006 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home