Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I do not think it means, what you think it means....

Day 2 of my new job, and my feet don't hurt....my brain, well that's a different story. Math has never been my strongest subject. Oh, I can add and subtract well enough. Give me an average gas price, the miles in a trip, and how many miles to the gallon you get...I can estimate how much it's gonna cost to get where you want to go. Unfortunately my skills stop there. Math and I had a pretty decent relationship, up until the day it decided it want to introduce me to such fun things as "imaginary" numbers. Well, thank you very much, but I have enough problems with really numbers...I don't' need pretend ones getting into the mix and messing it all up. Then hand me something like algebra and say... the answer isn't important really...it's just the steps.

Today on my job they introduced the concept that "debit" means take in and "credit" means to give away. Excuse me? Man, have I been using those words incorrectly all these many years? I just tricked my brain..take in use the yellow form, give away use the white. Much less confusing.

And this fun fact...to subtract, you have to add first. And they wonder why I struggled with math..doh! Actually it's not that bad. I am enjoying it. The customers are very patient with me and very nice. The people I work with are very friendly and for me that is a big plus.

Had kids home sick today, they are okay just a little bug. The funny part of that story was my sister called the house to check and make sure everyone went off to school. Kids at home answered the phone (I was on the other line with them at the time). Steph says you better have permission to be there I am calling your mom. Child gets back on phone with me and tells me what their Aunt said. I called my sister as soon as I finished talking to the child. Steph greets me with "Do you know.." I cut her off " that I have two kids at home? yeah, I know."...Poor kids they will never get away with much. snicker snicker.

I love being close to my family and friends again. The big empty spot I didn't even realize was there is filled and I feel so much more like myself. I just slipped on my best comfy clothes and I don't think I will be taking them off again. God willing.

Hermes update: He has come out of hiding and is adapting very quickly. Like his name sake he flits about the house investigating. Stopping long enough for a quick petting and off again. Max seems to be well pleased. He chased Herm earlier tonight. We thought this would be a problem, until we caught Herm looking for Max and enticing him to give chase. We then realized with our feeble little human brains they were playing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the new children are doing well. Which kids are sick, is it a cold or a stomach thing? I hate the stomach things. And btw, now you know why I never worked the teller line. Loan Sec. was strange enough.

12/13/2006 10:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm totally confused. Give me dosage conversions any day! I'll try to stop by soon... gotta recover from the back & forth of last three days.

Three cheers for sensible shoes!

Hip hip Hooray!

12/13/2006 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Good luck with the job.

I think the debit/credit thing is only backwards when you're the bank. It's right for the person on the other side of the transaction

12/15/2006 03:30:00 AM  
Blogger Beav said...

According to the accounting class I took a few years ago, debit and credit mean left side and right side. That's it. To an accountant, it doesn't matter paying, getting paid, just what side do I write it on.

Now that gets confusing.

12/15/2006 04:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home