Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Enjoy the little things.

Many times in life we get caught up in the day to day grind, and we miss the little things. The next thing you know your kid is 16.

Check on them before you go to sleep.
1) this can cut down on the sneaking out of the house that will happen.
2) seeing them asleep you can pretend for a moment that they are still small and you are less inclined to wring their necks during waking hours.

Take 5 minutes and paint your daughters nails or surf myspace with her tagging celebrity spaces.

You are never to old to play video games, especially when your goof up can keep your kids laughing for hours.

Brownies are the best when your licking the batter out of the bowl.

Always say " I love you" it doesn't lose it's meaning and you never know when it might be your last chance.


Yesterday we were back in court with my oldest child. We still have court again tomorrow, for the grand theft auto charge (joy riding ). This time however the boy really had not done anything wrong (other than sneak out of the house,but broke no laws) an old detain order was still on the books from several months ago, before he was released from probation. While in the court room awaiting our turn, a girl was called up in front of the judge. Her mother went and stood near her, but not by her. The mother informed the judge she didn't want to pay for a lawyer for her daughter, didn't look at her daughter, and left the court room with out looking at her daughter. The girl could only cry and call out "Mommy" in a voice that broke my heart.
As angry as I am at my oldest for his choices lately and as heart broken as it makes me, or frustrated, never could I see myself at the point where I could turn my back on him like that.
I know nothing of what she was charged with, nor what drove the mother to that point, and I pray to God I never do.

Enjoy the little things.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did listen, I'm crying.

1/09/2007 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

You are such an amazing mom! You have some lucky kids. Just think in ten years you'll all be sitting around and laughing and the oldest will go, do you remember when I did that? What was I thinking? And you'll be a family. Sadly, that probably won't happen to that girl.

1/10/2007 07:54:00 PM  
Blogger Peggy K said...

You are so right, it is important to remember the little things - those are what make life worth living. It may not seem like it now, but I'm sure your son will come to appreciate that you were there for him, even when he messed up.

1/16/2007 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger jennifersando said...

Ok, you reached out to me with this entry. And I'm not a mum yet. I actually dread the hard work involved with raising a child (not just the going into labour part hehe) but I know it will not compare to the joys that come with it. I'm sure you are a wonderful mother!

1/17/2007 03:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home