Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Grave site vistits..the new cheap gift

In my family the birthday train starts rolling in October and doesn't end until March. Janruary is a hard one for us with my Cousin (sorry I ment to call but completely mind wiped when I got home), Two of my Sons, my Nephew, my Father, and One of my Grandmothers. Yep that works out to one birthday a week. So unfortunatly they sometimes get skimpy gifts.

This year my 12 year old, knowing money is tight and this is the big 13 comming up asked for what he thought would be a very cheap present. Last night via paper air plane sent down the stairs after lights out, I get this:

Mom:

For my birthday can you take me to see Edgar Allen Poe's grave? That would be really cool.

Love, David


Now for those of you thinking this is morbid hold on. David has recently been introduced to Mr. Poe's work and is very much impressed by him. Dave until recently didn't like to read much aside from goosebumps and loves horror films. So when he got the collection of Poe I didn't think he would take to it. But like any good boy he found the Tell Tale Heart and The Raven and took to Poe like a duck to water. I love that he is reading and concidering he is my only child that still likes getting action figures for christmas..I was really suprised and pleased by his birthday request.

However, we live in Florida..so not really a cheap present. After you figure in gas or plane tickets, hotel cost, food, and I guess a t-shirt from the gift shop..would be Birthday, christmas, and any other gift giving occasion for about 2 years or more. Maybe I can just find a book of local ghost stories for him and then take him on a local tour...we have plenty to go around.

Now for those of you wondering how can I get my kids interested in history. Make history interesting. On our way to court today, an hour drive one way, Allen and I were discussing Wal-mart and how soon they will start selling cars and pre-fab homes. This lead to me saying innocently " Wal-mart is today what Sears & Roebuck used to be." Chris asked what I ment. That lead to a game Allen and I played on U.S. companies that have been around for more than 100 years and services they provided. Sears, Pullman (led to a brief discussion on unions and the Pullman strike) Pinkerton (branched off the strike conversation), Coleman, Levi, and Ford to name a few.

History is a story. It can be a really good story if you use the right voice, and the right "hook" to get your audience interested..and once the bug bites....it doesn't tend to let go.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Child of my heart! You make me miss you daily. Think of the fun we could have, did have ? will have again when you visit me in the retirement community!

1/11/2007 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

I still treasure our afternoon teas and antique browsing..I miss you too mommy!

1/11/2007 08:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a local grave? Like... uh... Joe Smith! I bet there's a Joe Smith around here somewhere! Think that might work?

1/14/2007 03:05:00 AM  
Blogger stacey said...

A boy after my own heart! Come on up to DC, I'll take y'all to Baltimore to see Poe's grave anytime. :D

Stacey

1/16/2007 09:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cool gift to ask for. Maybe there are other writers' graves in the area to go to instead? Try...
http://www.findagrave.com/

1/17/2007 06:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home