Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy 2007!

New Years Eve, marks so many different things: The end of a year, the end of the holidays, the end of a cycle and so many new starts as well. For 2 months solid the focus is on spending time with family and friends. A time to rebond with one another, to create new memories, to shore up our batteries for the on comming year. And so the new year starts and with it new goals, new oppertunities, new risks, new lessons, new growth.

New Years day for me growing up was about parades, and food, and family, and of course football. My sons' aren't that into football, so that has fallen by the wayside, but the food, family, and parades remain. I am not sure if this is a "southern" thing or not, but on New Years day certain items are expected on the menue. One of my favorites growing up was the dish of black eyed peas. You had to have at least one bite, this is supposed to ensure that you don't go hungry durring the next year. Personally I thought it was to remind you that if you get hungry enough you will eat anything...even vile black eyed peas. To sweeten the deal as it were, my grandmother would hide money in the peas. My sisters, cousin and I would eat the required "bite" then dig through the rest to see what coin we could score. This year dinner will be a small affair, my family and my youngest sisters family, but still a time to come together and remind ourselves what is truely important in this upcomming year and that is each other.

I am not making many resolutions this year. Mainly because I tend to be a slacker in that department, but I do have a few.
1) To make sure I spend quality not quantity time with my family and friends
2) to keep writing, this blog for one and to try and finish the one story I have started and a few others that keep sneaking into my head.
3) To take a little more "me" time from the rest of the world. From something small like buying myself something to the larger things...like an afternoon lost in the art museum...if I am lucky I can tuck number 1 into part of number 3 lol.


So take a little more time today and say I love you to your loved ones and get ready to face 2007 head on, with your head held high and shoulders back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you remember the black eyed peas. Gene and I were just talking about them and that i still hate them. I love you!

1/01/2007 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Beav said...

At least your not being fed collard greens. ;)

1/02/2007 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

LOL nope ate turnip greens with pieces of turnips yum yum :)

1/02/2007 06:09:00 PM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

OMGosh, I have't eaten black-eyed peas in sooo long (since I lived in Alabama). That is a neat tradition. I like your take on it!

Happy New Year!!

1/03/2007 08:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home