Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I got Paid!

As many of you know we just completed the AW blog chain #8. As normal the chain started with a simple question "Why do we do the blog chain?" or rather what do we get out of it, and ended with us talking about giving to others. For a recap, here is a list of the participating blogs and their entries.
A View From the Waterfront

Just a Small Town Girl

Gillian's Journal

Writing From Within

Down From the Garrett

Incoherent Blabbing From an Incoherent Person

Curiouser and curiouser

Peggy

BTGC Production Log

NVNC ID VIDES, NVNC NE VIDES

Fireflies in the Cloud


Peggy, up there, did a wonderful post on her site "The road Less Traveled" about paying it forward.

Yesterday someone paid it forward to me, and I want to share. I said "Thank you" at the time,and though it was a small thing it really meant alot. Therefore, I am taking the time to relay the story.

Picture it, lunch time yesterday, a young American girl heads out from her job at the local bank to procure what small items she can for lunch. Taking a break from smiling at everyone, and generally being as nice and helpful as she can. Wanting only to hide in the solitude of her car with a good book for a small hour. (yeah okay so I had the "Golden Girls" theme music running in my head for some reason, anyway..)

I decided that I really only had enough spare cash for some crackers or chips and a soda. Went into my purse to grab said money only to discover it was gone. Apparently my kids beat me to the cash, again. I digress. Not to be dismayed I had the debit card. So I went to the local dollar store. Picked out some crackers and a root beer Shasta. I handed my card to the cashier, smiled and said "Run as credit please."
"I'm sorry Mame, we only except Discover." Frantically I began scrounging in my purse. Surely I had some change right? Luck was with me, I had one dollar in change. I smiled at the girl and handed her the change. "Just the crackers then, please."

A line had formed behind me and now not only was I just getting crackers, but everyone knew I was only getting crackers. Have I mentioned I embarrass easily?

A voice spoke next to me, "what is it she can't get? A soda? Give her the soda, just ring it up with my stuff."

I smiled at my heroine and breathed a grateful thank you. Now some of you are saying it was just a soda, why the big deal.

Most who shop in the dollar store, have to make their bucks stretch as far as possible. One dollar can buy: three boxes of mac & cheese, 2lbs of spaghetti noodles, 2 cans Spaghetti sauce, a bag of rice, 2 bags of split peas, 2 cans of tuna, ect...

Basically a dollar can rob a family of a meal. So for her to be willing to spend a dollar on a complete stranger meant a lot.

So next time you think..it's just a dollar, think again. You could really make someones day.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the post, and the thought.

3/01/2007 09:59:00 AM  
Blogger Peggy K said...

Nice post! It's good to remember that even a dollar can make a difference in someone's life.

3/02/2007 06:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home