Saturday, February 17, 2007

Observations....

While I have been working in the bank, I have become enthralled with money. Not the value it represents, but the information that each bill and coin hold.

Take for instance the Susan B. Anthony silver dollar. Have you ever looked at one closely? For years I assumed the eagle was hovering over the earth with the moon hanging over it's left shoulder. Ah contra er(sp?), the eagle is landing on the moon, and it is the earth over the left shoulder..check it out. It's really kinda cool how they marked a piece of our history that way, the coin telling part of the story.

The new dollars are out. Showing George on the front and lady Lib on the back. The detail is awesome, you can actually count the windows in her crown and torch. The coin shows the dates that Washington was in office, and because so much attention to detail took up room on the coin, the words " e-pluribus-unum" and "In God We Trust" are etched into the edges of the coin.

The Chinese New Year is fast approaching. A tradition of theirs I have learned recently is the giving of "new" money to family and friends. They want Newly minted or still pristine condition bills to hand out. It is a sign of prosperity for the coming new year. Similar to ours, here in the south, of hiding coin in the black eyed peas. A bite of peas to ensure you don't go hungry and the coin to ensure wealth.

So what does money,( or silver and gold) and stories told by money, and traditions all have in common with what I have been reading lately? Why the Poor Fellow Soldiers of Christ and the Temple of Solomon. Also know as the the Knights Templar or Templar Knights.

Along lover of history and church lore, this book was right up my alley. Hidden treasures and conspiracy theories abound in this novel The Templar Legacy by Steve Berry. Personally I couldn't bring myself to read Mr. Browns Deviancy Code, but I ate up this book, like a starving man coming off a 40 day fast.

To those who can not challenge themselves to "what if questions" or who may doubt their faith is planted strongly, don't read this. But for those that can remember it is a work of fiction, run don't walk to find a copy. This was the first of Mr. Berry's work that I've read but it will not be my last.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Brown's NOVEL is also a work of fiction, remember; NOVEL = fiction. and its a good read

2/19/2007 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Wasn't saying it wasn't a work of fiction, was saying I couldn't force myself to read it. Hubby read it twice..I dont' like John Grisham either.

2/19/2007 05:07:00 PM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

I heard my father came home giddy as a school girl because he had two of the new dollars. My mom said, "Oh, how sweet. One for you and one for your grandson." He goes, "My grandson can get his own!" Dad's usual black humor and shows you how much he liked the coins!

2/19/2007 06:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I tried "For the Roses", and I'm not sure that I'll read any more of her work, so I understand the concept! Love ya

2/20/2007 10:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home