Monday, February 26, 2007

Wait! Come back here! Not ready for you to be grown yet...

As parents you spend the first part of your children's lives waiting for them to hurry up and get bigger. Then once they accomplish that, you find yourself wishing they were still small.

Don't get me wrong. I love the fact that my kids no longer need me to hold their hand with every little thing, but I miss the little things. Like the boys crawling up in my lap with a book with a little "read to me, Mommy"

These past few days I have been able to recapture that a little bit. We recently made the decision to get rid of our T.V. in order to encourage the children to do things like read, do their chores, do their homework, play outside. To that end the children lamented that they had "nothing" to read. So I borrowed a few books from my brother-in-law. One of them is Rakkety Tam By Brian Jacques


Ashley tried reading it to herself, but had a bit of a time with it. She asked me if I would read it to her. So we started. Soon I had four children draped around me in various states of repose, listening intently as we went on a journey together to a far off land. Where Otters guard abbey walls, a cellermole can become father of said Abbey and squirrels brandish claymores.

Justin wanted to read ahead, but still comes and settles in when the nights chapters start. So for a little while I can pretend that my "babies" are still babies.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kappa no He said...

You are so cool! I might order that book and try it out on Julyan. Being schooled entirely in Japan, he isn't very fond of reading in English. Squirrels with claymores might be just the ticket to get his interest peaked!

2/27/2007 02:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to tell you that they would grow up and that you would miss them being little. I still have days when all I want is a little girl curled up on my lap for a read or a story or a hug.

2/27/2007 10:15:00 AM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Ha! well just so you know, there are days I just want to be a little girl who can crawl in your lap for a story and a hug. Will you read me Eight Cousins again, please?

2/27/2007 09:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home