Monday, April 23, 2007

reflections

17 years ago I was a teenager, a sophomore. I know exactly how many years ago, because I can measure the time by the age of my son. I decided I had found the person I wanted as my spouse, and I wanted a kid while I was young. I wanted to be able to remember what being a teenager was like, when my kid was one so I could relate.

As my classmates where fitted for formals I was being fitted for my wedding dress. The next fall as my friends got ready for homecoming, I prepared for a homecoming of my own. They decorated the gym for dances, I decorated the nursery.

Now my children are teenagers, do I remember what it was like? yes. Does it help me relate to them? HEll NO.

People who say they never want to live high school over, are either liars or not parents of teens. I tell you no lie my friend, I would rather be the teen than the parent.

I'm sure people tried to warn me. To tell me that as you get older your way of thinking changes. So you may remember being a teen, but you won't, can not, think like a teen. No matter how hard you try. Your parent brain over rides the teen brain. Causing fights, and power plays and the temptation to throw in the towel and quit can be over whelming. But I didn't listen, because I was a teen.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's ok honey, they'll grow out of it....if you don't kill them. Now do you see why I let you live!?

4/23/2007 01:22:00 PM  
Blogger Kappa no He said...

Yea, you're back!

I hated my high school with a black vengence. But I had the best relationship I've every had in my life despite that.

I want to be a teen with the brain I have now. That would be perfect!

4/23/2007 06:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting... 0ur latest entries tie together in an odd way...

I have missed you. I cannot call at 3 in the afternoon or 8 in the morning, and this is becoming a problem. Get a new job working nights. No? Okay...

I am alive. Not nearly enough alcohol in my life lately though. I will try to call soon.

Love you!

ps - Chris has been trying to get you to kill him since he was knee high. We all know it. He's just getting better at it.

4/24/2007 10:42:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey its your fav little x-daoc guildie just checkin in to see how live is treating you and the fam. Hope everything is good and that yet another move went well. Tell Allen that the comp parts he helped me pick out ROCK! Keep in touch, Derek, Aka Jalanar

4/24/2007 06:46:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

Jal- Hey Bud! great to hear from you. How's school? I miss playing with you guys.

Partner- You could get a job working days..not enough alcohol in my life either, but at this moment that's probably a good thing.

Kappa- The brain I have now in highschool? Man A's would be a piece of cake uh? LOL

Mom- When I'm done with the kids being teens, I may love you again, but right now all I can ask is WHY did you let me LIVE?! LOL

4/25/2007 07:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See above note!!!!

4/25/2007 04:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home