Thursday, November 08, 2007

Writers Block...

Working evenings now, I have come to really appreciate that I can watch most of my favorite shows on my computer. Yes we have the cable box that records shows, but they only have so much space and the some of the shows I like the rest of the family isn't into. I love that just like tuning in on show night, I don't have to pay to watch. To me it's like catching the show in syndication. To that end I don't understand the writers strike.

As a writer, I understand wanting to be compensated for the work one creates. But do writers on staff get royalty fees every time a show re-airs? If not then they have no business complaining when a network re-airs on-line. They received payment when they first wrote the script. That is now property of the network.

I could be completely off base, maybe I don't have both sides of the story. If that is the case please someone enlighten me. As I see right now though. These writers are just whining for something that isn't theirs to whine about anyway.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some TV to catch up on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are looking for additional compensation up front - the networks, actors, producers, and just about everyone else is making more money from online sales, online viewing (ad dollars), dvd sales, and even special repackaging (think the DVD release of the final episode of Friends). But the writers are still just getting their same ol' piece of the pie. The market has changed. The profits have changed. They want their ten gold pieces. And who's to blame them? Writers tend to be the unsung heroes of hollywood. No one knows who wrote most of their favirite movies unless it was the director or some star. Most of the TV shows you associate with a writer - say, Joss Whedon - were eventually written by other people and just overseen by the creator. But this strike proves that Hollywood and its counterparts need writers, possibly more than the writers need Hollywood, in some cases.

Sorry, just feel a bit strongly about this one.

11/14/2007 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

okay first..for the tag you picked..omg am I laughing!!
"which first? The one now or ever?"

Second well I wanted to know. Figured I must be missing something somewhere. But you realize this is only going to leave us with reality TV. We are all going to have to go back to reading actually books!! Hey wait, that doesn't sound that bad to me....

11/14/2007 11:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home