Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh My!

Those of you that know me, know that normally I hate when stories are "retold" or "adapted" because inevitably they will screw something up. But so far this month I've been impressed not once but twice.

First time? See below post. Second time was Sci-fi's "Tin Man". I wasn't really holding my breath or having high hopes, because lets face it, it's sci-fi. More times than not it's going to be cheesy and jukey and make me curse the gods that let it make it to the air waves.

Boy was I wrong. Some may disagree and claim that it is all of the afore mentioned things, but not since the "Tenth Kingdom" have I loved a retelling so much. Not even a retelling really. Anyone who read any of the other Oz books after Dorothy knows that there was much more to Oz then the first book told.

This story is stand alone; If you never even saw or heard the first one. But don't think your old friends are gone. It's like meeting new friends that remind you of old friends. The Scarecrow, the Cowardly lion, the Tin Man and Toto are all there, just in a different way.

And for the die hard Wizard Fan, plenty of inside jokes, like how Glitch can never find the right direction.

The story itself is compelling and spell binding for the fantasy fan, and for those of us that started loving Fantasy as little girls on a black and white 13" Quesar TV in their living room, this mini-series is enough to make us fall in love with it all over again.

Does that mean I know longer love the original? Well, that's a horse of a different color.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kappa no He said...

I wish we had the Sci Fi channel. When I go back there is always so much good stuff going on there. I can't wait to see this!

12/04/2007 05:53:00 AM  
Blogger Bk30 said...

knowing Sci-fi you can probably get the DVD on line soon. So you won't have to wait til your next trip home.

12/04/2007 09:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home